As I was perusing the internet today I came across a blog entry about Pixar's "22 rules of storytelling."
What a wonderful thing to share with other writing teachers!
Here's the link: http://aerogrammestudio.com/2013/03/07/pixars-22-rules-of-storytelling/
I found a few of these to be particularly relevant to my own issues with writing:
#8:Finish your story, let go even if it’s not perfect. In an ideal world you have both, but move on. Do better next time.
I have such a difficult time letting go of a story once i've started it. Even when i'm beating a dead horse, I refuse to give up on it. Perhaps I really should just set it aside and move on.
#10: Pull apart the stories you like. What you like in them is a part of you; you’ve got to recognize it before you can use it.
This is such great advice for writing! I think this is something i'd really like to try with my own students one day, I'd only need to figure out how.
There were also several other lists of writing advice from several authors linked at the bottom of the blog.
I have a hard time giving up on something when it isn't working, too. One thing I do that seems to help is to walk away from it. If I go and do something else, I may figure out a solution to my problem. It doesn't always work, but it is great when it does!
ReplyDeleteIsn't that the greatest list? Thanks for reminding me about it!
ReplyDeleteA great reminder!
ReplyDeleteLeslie...I stole your background! I love pixar's rules!
ReplyDelete